Thursday, January 15, 2009

it hurts to set you free

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again

Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free

yes ladies and gentlemen, this is the end of uncle rico's time machine. its been a fun ride that lasted way longer than i ever expected. what started out as a way to cut down on "reply alls" on emails between me and some buddies turned into this. and now, 18+ months, 865 posts, more than 76,000 visitors, more than 149,000 page views, and more than 2300 comments later, it ends. we've covered everything from college football, to ice hockey, to boozin', to music, to boobies (actually we talked about boobies and the women attached to them quite a bit), and most everything in between. a big thank you to all of those who contributed through posts and/or comments, as well as any and all other sites out there who ever linked to us. however, do not fret. you can rest assured that i will still be cruising the blogosphere, dropping lyrical bombs on other peoples' unsuspecting blogs. i will also be leaving the site up and functional (at least for the time being) should you want to drop some knowledge on here, i just won't be posting any new material. what did you like about uncle rico? dislike? fucking hate?? any posts and/or comment fights from the past stand out?? let me know in the comments.

your friend in all things that kick ass,

gerry dorsey

ps - i'd also like to send a very special shout out to the man who's name is the number one search term that brings people to this site (and it isn't even fucking close)...rush propst. and yes, i'm absolutely serious.

22 comments:

Big said...

Uncle Rico, we hardly thee. Hope all is well, and if you ever get so inclined to write up a post, hit us up on TB&TB, we would love to have you as a guest blogger!

Fare thee well, Godspeed.

The Last Dragon said...

Dammit - married life is already taking its toll and you're not even married yet.

gerry dorsey said...

big that is a very generous offer. and if i ever have something to get off my chest (particularly dallas, wrestling, or anti-semitic related) i will take you up on that offer.

DoubleK said...

Gerry,
You're always welcome to bring your silly pro-Alabama brain to the Hog Tale to spice things up from time to time. It's tough keeping one of these blog things going, but you did an outstanding job with Uncle Rico's over your 18 months. Plus, if you get bored, you can always un-retire it. Just think of the ratings then!

R.I.P. U.R.T.M., R.I.P.

Anonymous said...

Gerry, please don't do it..
This site was one of my favorites. Are you going to take away trim and beer from me as well?

AUTGR91 said...

Gerry,
Thanks for the blog. I'm an Auburn man, but I always enjoyed your takes and they helped give me perspective sometimes...sometimes. (I'm still a Barner, so sometimes I still thought you were a full of shit Bammer) Good luck and thanks again for your time and effort

gerry dorsey said...

thanks for the kind words fellas. its nice to know that someone was enjoying the hard work.

Anonymous said...

Dude, what the F? What am I going to read first thing every morning to get my sports humor, the Tide, and boobies? Now its just EDSBS and their tounge twisting writing style and Gator slant....or I guess I can read my work email.

Damn it!

DoubleK said...

The least you could do is resurrect it for bowl picks next December so that I can continue to profit off of your picks...

take care.

Etch Westgrin said...

I really enjoyed your work here. Sorry you're hanging it up.

Roll Tide.

Phocion said...

AWWW, man. Fun while it lasted...I hope that full pad drills in August change your mind about the permanence of your choice.

Until then, stay thirsty my friend.

PurpleTiger006 said...

Man,

I'm going to miss reading your posts while trapped here in the chem plant. Dude, take it easy and enjoy yourself. BTW, I'll really miss the 'Love thine enemy' posts. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, WTF?? Please don't go!

gerry dorsey said...

i really appreciate all of the kind words fellas. its nice to know at least a few people were getting a kick out of the site.

Al C Hemist said...

Gerry,

I really enjoyed your blog, and I hate to see it go.

Picture Me Rollin said...

Godspeed!
Best of luck and if you ever want to post something at my site, it's all yours. Peace out,
PMR

TideDruid said...

I'm sad to see ya go man. Good luck!

Mac G said...

Sucks to see you hang it up Gerry but I understand, being a blogger takes time.

Oh, you pussy! :)

crimson daddy said...

Oh man, the Bamasphere has lost a good one.

And Rush Propst, eh? At least it's football related. Ours is Sophia Bush.

Crimson said...

Dude, you should really start this thing back up.

Joshua said...

Just stopping by to reiterate that this is bullshit.

Who's going to bring me my hot co-ed countdown you fuck?

I'm stealing the idea for my blog....

Max said...

It's time to knock the dust of this site. I've been checking back every day since you said you were hanging it up and I'm tired of watching the clip from Apocalypse Now. I love the movie and the clip, but watching it every day for 229 days is starting to wear on me. Please at least update the "I Quit" message so I don't have to watch that damn clip. Thanks.